Our curriculum is outcomes-focused and based on the Curriculum Council's Curriculum Framework. The Values from the Curriculum Framework underpin and are embedded in everything we do. We are currently developing programs that will encourage our students to make connections with their community, with the aim of increasing their self-awareness, confidence and links with supportive, positive organisations and individuals.
During their two years in the Middle School all students have access to a comprehensive program in all eight Learning Areas, and will be provided with multiple opportunities to achieve the outcomes of each Learning Area in a variety of contexts. Because of the way the Middle School is structured, the curriculum is conceptualised and presented as a two-year program rather than as two separate single year programs, and this continuity provides many advantages.
Apart from those students who gain entry to one of our special programs, the only subject choices that students have are which of our five Languages to study, and whether or not to study Music. Entry to the Music program is though an audition and aptitude test.
Curriculum in the middle years that leads to engagement and achievement is:
- outcomes based;
- coherent with a sense of scope and sequence;
- learner-centred in which students are engaged in their learning through opportunities for negotiation, direction and construction;
- integrated and cross-curricular where appropriate;
- problem or challenge based;
- values based;
- authentic; and
- inclusive of assessment that is valid, educative, explicit, fair and comprehensive.